Covid-19 Resources and Support for our Community
CAA Health understands that the COVID-19 pandemic is yet another crisis exacerbating the existing disparities experienced by the Black/African American community. In addition to the health of those we hold dear, the pandemic is affecting everything from employment to finances to mental health. We’ve put together the following list of external resources to assist you should you need support.
Learn more about what is being done by local government to address racial inequities caused by COVID-19 as well as to address social justice issues – particularly those impacting people of color.
Date: Friday, May 29, 2020, Noon-12:30
- Kim Desmond, Director, Mayor’s Office of Social Equity and Innovation, City […]
Virtual Town Hall: COVID-19 and its Impact on the Black Community
The Center for African American Health (CAA Health) moderated an expert panel discussion on April 16, 2020 : “COVID 19 and its Impact on the Black Community.” Please visit this link to view the recording of the virtual town hall meeting.
The State of Colorado encourages the following tips to reduce the risk to yourself and the people you care about.
- Make or buy a cloth covering that will cover your mouth and nose and use it whenever you are outside your own house or yard. Scarves and bandanas will work as coverings. Wash your face covering frequently.
- Frequently and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash, or use your inner elbow or sleeve.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home if you’re sick, and keep your children home if they are sick.
- Clean surfaces in your home, and personal items such as cell phones, using regular household products.
2-1-1 Colorado: a comprehensive directory of state and local government resources including health, food, rent, internet, unemployment and telemedicine.
State of Colorado COVID-19: updates from the Governor’s office including pages dedicated to specific issues.
- COVID-19 facts
- Telehealth and nurselines
- COVID-19 anxiety and mental health resources
- Food assistance through SNAP
- Unemployment benefits
- COVID-19 and racism
- State agency response and recovery assistance
Health First Colorado: guide to Colorado’s Medicaid Program coverage of COVID-19
Connect for Health Colorado: open enrollment for health insurance for those without coverage or those impacted by COVID-19 has been extended to April 30
Colorado Small Business Development Center: resources to assist small businesses impacted by COVID-19
Denver Water: water safety facts and delinquent payment assistance
Xcel Energy: support for the community and payment assistance
Hunger Free Colorado: a variety of food resources including food pantries, school lunch programs and Meals on Wheels
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): national COVID-19 overview and information
African Americans In Colorado Hit Hard By COVID-19: CBS4 April 14, 2020 news story